It all started in 1874 when the Washington Heights Public School was built.
By 1893, when Washington Heights was annexed to Chicago, the original building had been destroyed by fire, a new building had been constructed, and the name changed to Alice L. Barnard. In 1929, extensive alterations were made in the third floor and our present gymnasium and assembly hall were added. When the school burned down again, in 1939, these additions were left intact, to become part of the present building.
Two women are inseparably associated with the history of the school, Elizabeth H. Sutherland and Alice L. Barnard. Mrs. Sutherland was the first woman in Cook County to be appointed principal of a school, receiving this honor in 1883.For forty years she guided and directed education in this community. Branches were established at the present locations of the Sutherland and Vanderpoel schools. Mrs. Sutherland visited from school to school by horse and buggy. She retired in 1923.
Alice L. Barnard was the first woman to be appointed principal of a Chicago public school. Although she never worked directly at Barnard, the school was named after her in honor of her service to the Chicago Public Schools, starting in 1847. She was principal of the Dearborn school as well as the Jones school, and retired in 1891.
To these two women we owe the splendid traditions of Barnard School.
We hope to live up to those traditions today.